Can someone maybe guide me how to achieve this?
#jirapremium #jiracloud
Hello @BenWade
Do you log time at any level other than subtask?
What event do you want to use to trigger the sum up? Does it need to be done each time work is logged, or would it be acceptable to do the sum up once a day (or on another schedule)?
Do you need to sum the information at each level, or do you just want the grand total in the Theme?
Hi @BenWade
As suggested by others a custom solution can help you roll up time spent at each parent level. If you would like to try out a mktplace app for your requirement, please take a look at an add-one have developed for the same use case.
Issue Hierarchy
The app rolls up the time spent / story points progress at each parent level. You can add it as a dashboard gadget and export the data to a csv too.
Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app
Hi @Trudy P Claspill 1. time can be logged at any level.2. sum up once a day is perfectly fine.3. to sum up logged hpurs at each level.I think this discussion can also be useful for you to look to help me with this automation flow.Solved: How to use automation to sum up in EPIC the hours ... (atlassian.com)
especially this part:
This is how my hierarchy looks like:
Rolling up time spent is going to be tricky when work logs can be deleted and edited, and work can be logged both in the children and the parent issues.
For another perspective on a solution (in addition to some vendors suggesting their apps) look at my and other answers on this post.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/how-to-show-total-tracking-time-of-all-tasks-in-Epic/qaq-p/2362843
In that post I suggested using an automation that is triggered by work being logged, and executing a Log Work action to log the same amount of time against the parent issue. That doesn't accommodate work logs being changed or deleted.
Another possibility I just thought of would avoid the use of the Log Work actions and messing with deleting work logs at the parent issue level. But I haven't thought it through completely. My half-formed idea would involve using a separate custom field at each level for storying the sum of work logged one level down plus work logged at the current level. If you ran such a rule on a schedule then you could use the Lookup Issues action to collect all the descendant issues at all levels below a given issue, use a smart value to get the sum of the Time spent fields for all those issues, and then add that to the sum of Time spent for the "parent" issue and record it in the separate field. Regardless of whether work logs were deleted, added, or modified, this once a day calculation would get the sums based on all the work log info that exists for the issues.
Again, I haven't fully thought that through. I'm just brainstorming.
And there is not a native "duration" type of custom field, so the data would be a raw value that you would need to convert to minutes/hours/days/weeks/months as you deemed necessary.
Why isn't there a pre-built solution in Jira for this? Is there a valid reason for it? I need to find a way to explain to management why it's not possible to generate roll-ups from the lowest to the highest level.
depending on your exact use case, you may also want to consider views that calculate these roll ups "on the fly", based on your configured hierarchy.
I was thinking that this may be possible in Advanced Roadmaps, but from a first look at it, it looks like the time spent field isn't available there. (I may be overlooking something, though.)
This being said, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there are various sum-up/roll-up apps available there. E.g., my team and I work on an app that may be a great fit for your use case, JXL for Jira.
This is how it looks in action:
(Note how the sum-up updates as we enter values at the issues.)
JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.
Any questions just let me know,
Best,
Hannes
It won't sum up hours. What am I doing wrong?
jumping in here as I see you have JXL running. What you want to do here is configure a different sum-up style. To do so, hover over the cell header, press the ⋮ (More) button, and choose "Edit sum-up style". In the dialog that follows, pick the sum up style you're looking for (I assume Sum?):
Does this work?
Please note that the Σ Time spent field is already summed up in Jira (although unfortunately in a somewhat unintuitive way), which is why the default sum up style is "None" here. We typically recommend to just use the Time spent field instead and utilise JXL's sum up capabilities.
If there are any further questions, may I ask you to reach out to us via https://support.jxl.app so that we can look into it in more detail?
Many thanks,
- Hannes
It does not work.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.