Hi
I am trying to set up a new style of Jira board for our books projects.
To create a book it takes 100 individual steps. These steps are covered by 5 types of people. Writers, Illustrators, Designers, Pre U Editors. The workflow can take 9/10 sprints. Sprints are around 4 weeks.
My thought was to create a board with approx. 13 columns (To do, Writing Kick off, Writing 1st draft, 2draft, 3rd final draft, Illustration roughs, Illustration Colours, Illustration Review, Design, External review, Upload, Done.) We would also need 1 column that reflected if a book was sat waiting for an illustrator to pick a book up - Illustration backlog column.
So a book would be an epic that travels through the workflow process above.
When the card (Parent) moved into a column the sub tasks (steps) were added to the card. I.e. the sub tasks for the Kick off column would be: 1. meet with PO, 2. write synopsis, 3, Create storyboard, 4. Review and sign off Storyboard.
I then thought that once all these subtasks were completed the card could move to done and then create a linked card for the next column and therefore a set of sub tasks related to that column.
This would achieve the team knowing where the book sat in production, what their smaller tasks were and the ability to set a sprint goal of a card that contained a set of sub tasks.
I hope this makes sense.
So what I am asking is what do you think? could I do this a better way? is there anything that would help?
We are also hoping this may allow us to do a little bit of tracking in terms of helping us to visibly see how long something takes at a particular stage - column.
I look forward to hearing your feedback?
Thank you in advance