Hi. I cannot change a story into a bug when I click on the icon but I can change it if I move the issue. can you help.?
Hi @Ana Maria Iosub working as designed. To change the issue type you have to perform a Move.
Hi @Ana Maria Iosub
I know this is an old discussion but it still came up during my search and the responses mislead me into thinking that it still wasn't possible. But confirming that you can now easily change the issue type!!
Hope it helps
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
There is a bit of a complexity here.
The issue type is a structural thing, a lot of configuration is dependent on the issue type. It is not just a field.
Because of that, you always need to "move" an issue from one type to another. Jira has to check that your data fits with any possible changes of structure of the issue.
However, Jira can detect the simple cases where it will not need to do those checks, and will offer the issue type as though it is a simple editable field.
As @Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet has shown, it can offer the whole list, but depending on your project config, you may not see all issue types offered in that list - Jira will drop the ones that require a move.
In that screenshot, I can tell you that Task, Bug, Story, and Spike, are all configured to use the same workflow and fields.
I stand corrected, sorry for any misdirection. Thanks @Valeriia_Havrylenko_SaaSJet for making me look
To clarify, it is possible to change the issuetype directly from the issue only if the two issue types share the same workflow. Otherwise, Jira needs to make sure that, if the status the issue is currently in doesn't exist in the new workflow, it gives you the option to specify what status the issue should be in once it moves to the new workflow.
Note that, even if the two workflows share the exact same statuses, it doesn't matter.
And fields, it's not just the workflow!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.