Today Handy Macros Table Filter decided to start charging a fee for the free tier. I understand software publishers will change their pricing models, but the issue is that the only way to avoid paying the fee is to disable/uninstall the add-on, which causes it to no longer work on any of the pages it was on previously. I feel like I'm being extorted here. Pay up or my pages break! I know that add-ons can choose to handle this more gracefully. A different add-on told me there is a paid update available. That gave me the choice of running the old plugin until it no longer worked or upgrading to the new one. Is there any way to mitigate the risk of an add-on suddenly and forcefully changing its price?
edit: I misidentified the add-on that caused the change. The specific add-on is not relevant to the question though. The fact that any of them can do this is what I want to protect myself from.