(Update at bottom of the post)
Background: As you probably know, you can create customized statuses in Jira, however, each status you create has to be assigned to one of the three default statuses in Jira - To Do, In Progress, or Done.
My boss wants me to set up multiple "Done" Statuses with Reopen in the ticket workflow.
My Question is - Should these be set up as Jira "Done" status category or one of the other Jira Status Categories (To Do, or In Progress)?
I'm wondering how this will affect Sprint Reports in Jira etc.
Please see attached picture.
Update:
First and foremost, thank you to everyone who responded to my post. I very much appreciate your feedback!
Before I share about what I did to fix this issue, I did want to share (for any future people seeking a similar answer) that you can set a custom status as a Jira Status Category of Done without having that status actually be resolved in Jira. In order for the statuses to actually resolve in Jira you MUST add a post-function to the Jira Transition that goes to that status that essentially updates the Resolution Field to Done. (To clear a resolution status, you follow the same procedure to add a post function but you set the Resolution Field to None.)
Ok, even though, I could, technically leave the Resolved, QA Done, and Closed statuses as Jira Status Category Done and set them not to actually Resolve in Jira, I instead opted to change them to Jira Status Category To Do.
The distinctions that I used are a bit different than how Jira defines those three default statuses, but, I think it makes sense. I looked at the Jira Status Categories in this way:
- Jira Status Category: "To Do" (gray color) - I defined as an active ticket that is currently not being worked on for one reason or another -- more like a transitory phase. For most tickets that would define Open, ReOpen, Backlog and To Do only, but, in my case, I believe it would include how we are using Resolved, QA Done and Closed -- these are tickets that are not "Done, Done" yet, but, are waiting to be worked on in the next step.
- Jira Status Category: "In Progress" (blue color) - I defined as an active ticket that is currently being worked on.
- Jira Status Category: "Done" (green) - I defined as a ticket at it's very end state - "Done-Done" . So the only three statuses that are in this category and actually resolve in Jira are: Done (Deployed to Production), Duplicate, and Not Fixing.
Because my boss and I do not see eye-to-eye on this issue, and because he doesn't understand what is going on "under the hood" of Jira, I decided to give him the statuses he wants, but, I would set it up on the backend my way and be done with it.
As to how this all affects Jira reporting, I'm probably going to have to use a more granular reporting add-on like eazyBI anyway, so hopefully this won't cause any problems. (fingers crossed)
In the meantime, again, thank you all for your helpful advice!