I am currently a project administrator (not the over-all admin). Is the ability to edit workflows restricted to only the over-all administrators?
Hey Tyler,
In order to edit workflows you would need to have the JIRA Administrators global permission. The Administer Projects permission allows you to edit project role membership, project components, project versions and some project details ('Project Name', 'URL', 'Project Lead', 'Project Description') - (see our doc on Managing Project Permissions for more information). Feel free to email sales@atlassian.com and ask for Marian if you have any additional questions
Marian is right for plain Jira, but you've used "greenhopper" as well. IF your system adminstrators set the "simplified workflow" flag on your project, then you'll be able to define your own workflow by setting columns as a project administrator.
but we are losing the ability to have screens that captures values during the transitions. besides there are known issues as per the documentation
Correct. Simplified workflow IS simplified - no transistion screens etc. That's the point, it's supposed to be more simple.
I'm not sure what you mean by "known issues"?
I was referring to https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GHKB/Unable+to+set+issues+to+Resolved+using+Greenhopper+Simplified+Workflow.
I just wish the JIRA workflow would be more preferable to be able to accessed by a project lead. As a matter of fact, Project Admins should be able to perform all of the admin tasks for that particular project without been given with a global admin access as that would be exposing everything and risky as I have recently seen that one of the admin has deleted an important project altogether may be by mistake.. but that cost my precious time to figure out what happened and eventually restore from backup, the sad part is I cannot trace who did that since the audit log is not there by design for administrative events. I tried searching the logs with no luck.
Hi @Marian Finch is this answer still valid for the latest version of JIRA?
No, it's not, the post is almost 5 years old.
To edit a workflow, you must be:
And, if you are using cloud JIRA, you're currently (Oct 13, 2017) out-of-luck. Nothing I have seen enables Project Admin-role people to edit their workflows, which is a disappointment.
When will it be possible in Jira Cloud for project admins to edit their workflows?
IMO this will never be allowed. Next-gen project types are sort of the 'answer' here by doing away w/ workflows altogether.
I am closing this thread down due to age. The product has change quite a bit since 2013. Please, feel free to open a new question or discussion on this or similar topic.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.