How can I sort a table in Confluence. I tried to look up for the option but couldn't find anything. Also tried to find something on Google, found that sorting a table is not possible in Confluence.
Welcome to the Atlassian Community.
Have a look at https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/add-formatting-to-your-page/#Tables. You can sort tables when viewing a page by clicking the sort icons in the header row.
H
i @marjan.emami1
You should be able to hover over the right corner of the each column of the table and sort it using the arrow, see the image below. Also I wonder if you've considered using Confluence Database for a more sophisticated data management?
Hi Ivan, thank you for the useful hint, however, when I tried it, the sort column A- Z and the Sort Column Z-A are greyed out.
There might be a specific condition in the table or page that prevents sorting. I assume you have permission to view and edit the page, so I have a few questions to help you identify this. Is it greyed out for one table or all tables in different pages and spaces? Is it greyed out only for your user? Is the table within a macro? Does the table have merged cells? Is the table created using the standard Confluence table or copied/pasted from an external source? Have you tried different browsers?
Thank you Irina, will try it.
Thank you, Ivan, I have created that table and it is a simple standard table with no merge cells. I have copied the source from a word file, but I and my other teammates make changes on everyday basis.
Hello
I had the same problem and was able to determine it was because I was using a Live Doc versus a Page. Once I converted back to a Page, I was able to sort. Frustrating, as I much prefer using Live Docs but they are buggy (task macros also do not work properly).
@Jo-Lee Bertrand This is great feedback, thank you! There is a way to sort a table in a live doc, but admittedly its not always intuitive. To quote from another live docs conversation:
live docs default into an edit mode but can be flipped into a view-only mode by pressing CMD+SHIFT+E (CNTRL+SHIFT+E for windows machine). Once in view-only mode, any table in the live doc will give you the ability to sort by columns when you hover over the top cell of the column. You can also click into the overflow menu on the top right of the header area of the live doc and click the "Switch to viewing" button with your mouse. I did quick recording below that shows this. Hope it helps! 🙂
live docs default into an edit mode but can be flipped into a view-only mode by pressing CMD+SHIFT+E (CNTRL+SHIFT+E for windows machine). Once in view-only mode, any table in the live doc will give you the ability to sort by columns when you hover over the top cell of the column.
You can also click into the overflow menu on the top right of the header area of the live doc and click the "Switch to viewing" button with your mouse. I did quick recording below that shows this. Hope it helps! 🙂
You also need to ensure the Table options have Header row selected.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.