Hi, I'm a scrum master on a team using Scrum.
I've been studying Agile recently, and since our team uses Scrum, I'm interested in how to make user stories.
Our team is divided into server engineers and client engineers.
Although the API details are determined first, since client development is largely dependent on the server, server development tasks are performed first (in previous sprint) to avoid bottlenecks.
e.g. (User Story) Customer can login into our service.
In this case, we separate user story into 2 user stories - because Jira doesn't allow user stories to be in 2 sprints.
- [TICKET-1] [for BE] Customer can login into our service -> Will be proceed in Sprint#1
- [TICKET-2] [for FE] Customer can login into our service -> Will be proceed in Sprint#2
I know that user story must be completed within one sprint.
But in this case, 1 User Story spans two sprints.
We cannot increate the length of each sprint, and to accelerate backend engineer's performance is too difficult for us.
So I thought divide one user story into two user stories can solve this problem.
Now "Target" are divided into external and internal customers, like this:
- [TICKET-1] Client Engineers can use login API -> Will be proceed in Sprint#1
- [TICKET-2] Customer can login into our service -> Will be proceed in Sprint#2
But this still have several problems:
1. TICKET-1 does not appear to be a user story; I think this seems to be "Task", not "User story".
2. I heard that definition of user story should be written solely for external customers, not internal customers.
3. It is difficult to clearly define that TICKET-1 and TICKET-2 has same goal "Customer can login into our service".
...I couldn't find any further improvements here, so I'm asking here.
Can't we write user stories if we are not a full-stack engineer?
Is any good way to use user stories in this case?
I've been thinking about it for almost a year, and I still don't know the answer.
I would really appreciate it if you could tell us about your experience. Thank you.