In Jira Premium Cloud, on production, when I try to add a status to a workflow I (possibly) made the mendable mistake to have a tab open under the following example link (not giving you the real link for security reasons):
https://{instance_name}.atlassian.net/plugins/servlet/project-config/{project_key}/workflows
This links corresponds to going through the following steps to get to it:
Projects > Choose the projects in question from the Dropdown > Project settings (The cog icon) > Workflows > Under "Actions" clicked the "Pencil icon" (stands for Edit)
Then this automatically creates a draft, which might be counter-intuitive to a relatively new user. I just did that to check the diagram of the WF and nothing more. Then I moved to the other tab where I created a new workflow based on this old one (I copied the name), found it in the General Settings > Issues > Workflows, then More > Copy and renamed it.
However, on publishing the new workflow. I did not notice that, but I was told by my seniors later that the old one has remained active one because I possibly edited something during the Acknowledgement of the changes of the new workflow. When redoing it, I noticed I am going unintended into "Edit mode" when I click the pencil icon in order to copy the WF name easily from the "Project Settings", so that I can search for it in the "General Settings" to copy and then rename it with incremental version number. Therefore, I assumed this might be the moment where the unintended edit action took place, that my colleague referred to. Notice, that after clicking the pencil icon I did not publish and I did not change anything, I just copied the name because in that view it was easier for me.
After publishing the new WF in another tab, despite I did not see any evidence in the logs later, and I saw it myself that the new workflow was indeed active, it was insisted that the old workflow was actually the active one, while the new one the inactive one, which shouldn't be so, because I double-checked in the "Active"\Inactive WFs in the "General Settings" -> Workflows. Do you think that it is that this other tab where I did not publish any changes kept the WF I need as inactive, despite what I saw and double-checked?
To sum-up, or put it otherwise, the question comes down to this:
Is the "Edit" mode in of a Workflow in another tab really preventing a newer copy of that old and set as inactive Workflow to be active?
But I am also curious, whether I am obliged to keep only the browser tab open where I am editing only the new workflow when I am working on workflows?
Wouldn't it be good to get notified, if there's some other active window somewhere, after acknowledging the WF changes and the progress bar starts running or before running the publishing process?
And I am curious to get to hear from experienced Jira admins, how do you go about tabs management, do you tend to keep less tabs, even when you actually need many tabs open? Or would you rather sacrifice all tabs in such a case? I always group them and organise them meticulously by colours and named groups, so I am curious to hear the opinion of the wider public. 