I work primarily in a space that uses PDF export settings: HTML for title/header/footer and CSS for the PDF stylesheet. Having encountered some problems with these settings (caused in particular by @page tags), I started using my personal space as a test area for PDF Export. I initially copied all the HTML and CSS over to my test space, but found I needed to start from scratch.
With nothing in the PDF Export portion of the Look and Feel settings, the new exporter was used.
The moment I added some HTML to the title section, the exporter reverted to legacy.
I removed all mentions of "class" from the HTML (despite there being no CSS in the styelsheet), and the exporter reverted to legacy.
I rewrote the HTML from scratch, and exported 3 PDFs. In those 3 times, the exporter reverted to legacy twice. It used the new exporter once.
I checked with Admin, and my organization does not use IP Allowlists.
Based on the documentation I have found, the two reasons for the exporter to revert to legacy are the use of @page tags or the use of IP Allowlists. I am currently using neither, and the exporter continues to revert to legacy.
Any thoughts or advice you may have will be greatly appreciated!