We have date/time and are looking to get timezone included too for our support submissions - is there a template for this with a pre-defined set of tz options?
Hi Alex,
It depends a bit on what you want from the timezone data, and what you are trying to use it for. Is it intended to be a list of timezones to select when raising an issue that then feeds into a report of some sort? Or is it going to inform your queues and SLAs. Or maybe help choose an assignee?
Also, how are you going to get accuracy from your end users? Most are likely to ignore it, or not understand why it might be important, and so leave it blank or accept a default.
Would it be better to Automate it where it needs to be used? Have something that looks at the current time and sets it automatically, or (and I'm not sure this can be done on Cloud), look at the timezone settings of the user and set that.
Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- It's intended to be a list of timezones for customers to select when raising an issue that then feeds into our support form + subsequent submissions by customers. (Also happy for this to be a free text field with an indication of how to indicate timezones if that's easier + not a templated option by Jira)
We're not too concerned about this being an optional field but imagine it will help with further specifics about incoming support issues + we will also prioritize the associated date/time occurred field(s) a little more so these are one of the first fields to be populated by the customer once we have a go-forward plan here.
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- Thoughts on our response above?
Eager to get this included and wondering if it would be easier just to create a free text field if a specific field for date/time/timezone is not available from the template options...
I'm sorry, I missed the comment in January.
But it clarified everything I was not getting. A timezone field would be of massive help to you - it can be fed into your SLAs if nothing else (raised at 4am in the UK is different to raised at 4am in Singapore), but I can see it being really useful for reporting as well.
I would advise letting your customers leave it blank, with a note that if they do, support might be a bit slower because your team are a bit fuzzy on how old something is (albeit the worst case is 23 hours out).
But there is no time-zone field type available. If you haven't got anything that can extract the time zone from a user's settings and automate it, then the best you can do is add a select-list with options that look like time zones. I would add that now. But keep it simple - my country is almost entirely within the GMT time zone, but annoyingly uses the now useless daylight-saving times so for half of every year, we get lumped with the utterly pointless BST instead of GMT. Argh. It's a massive pain even within Europe, let alone my miserable ability to understand anything beyond "most of the EU is one hour ahead of GMT"
I would love Atlassian to implement a timezone field, just for the baseline info if nowt else.
Hey @alex.webber I've just been reading through this as I've been asked a similar question and was looking for ideas.1. I'd be interested to know what you have ended up doing as your solution.
2. I wondered if using a location field would have made sense in your scenario? As in, ask them where they are and work out the timezone from that.Ultimately i would use Assets to create all your known locations and have a timezone attribute then use that with automation to convert the relevant date/time field(s) to reflect the right date/time.
We ended up using a date/time AND timezone field in Jira @Curt Holley (which was implemented via our Jira Developer FWIW)
Ex. below
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.