I want to create several similar Jira tasks in Excel, tweak them slightly in Excel, and then import them to create different Jira tickets which I can modify further directly in Jira.
I already have several existing Projects in my Jira instance. I want to import these Excel tickets into one of those specific projects.
There are warnings in the documentation that importing from CSV will wipe out all existing data in the project. The existing Jira projects are actively used and I can't afford to have all that wiped out. I just want to enable ticket-writers a quicker way of creating tickets.
Is the documentation overly-cautious and/or incorrect?
Would creating a dummy project and importing these CSV records into that file and then moving them to the target project be a way to avoid this problem? I'm afraid even doing this will wipe out data and settings in projects across my Jira instance.