Hello Jira community!
I'm trying to do something that I thought would be simple and running into an issue, hoping someone here can help enlighten me.
My goal:
- Show the difference between two number fields, but only show positive values
- In this case, I'd like to show the difference between the default 'Story Points' field and a custom number field called 'Actual Story Points'
What I've done:
- When the value of 'Actual Story Points' field changes, my automation populates another custom number field called 'Estimate vs Actual Difference' using the smart value expression:
{{issue.Story Points.minus(issue.Actual Story Points.abs)}}The issue I'm seeing:
- When the value of 'Actual Story Points' is greater than the value of 'Story Points', the automation populates a negative number into the 'Estimate vs Actual Difference' field
- Example: 'Story Points' = 5, 'Actual Story Points' = 8, automation using the smart value expression above populates 'Estimate vs Actual Difference' field with -3
- Based on the fact that I'm using .abs (documentation) in the expression, I would expect to see 'Estimate vs Actual Difference' = 3 in this case, not -3
Workarounds I've tried:
- Created a dummy custom number field and replaced 'Story Points' in the automation's smart value expression with that dummy field name - still seeing a negative value returned in 'Estimated vs Actual Difference' field when 'Actual Story Points' is greater than the value in the dummy custom number field
- Searching the Jira forums, where I found solutions that involved using .abs, which I'm already using in my smart value expression
Does anyone have any ideas around what I'm missing here, or if this is a bug?