I had custom fields with identical names:
1. I have "Story point estimate" field locked by Jira.
2. I have "Story point estimate 2" field, what used to be called with the same name before: "Story point estimate".
I have included "Story point estimate" field in my field configuration and I have excluded "Story point estimate 2" field from my field configuration of a test project.
The same configuration is applicable to all item types: Story, Bug, Dependency, Epic, Task, Sub-task.
In my screen I have included "Story point estimate" field and excluded "Story point estimate 2" field. They are both accessible in the "Select Field ..." dropdown list.
I have configured a report in the project board.
In the past, when the field names were duplicated, the board was not working correctly.
I renamed one (of course not the one locked by Jira) of the field called "Story point estimate" to "Story point estimate 2".
Now I continue seeing in my Burndown chart report dropdown list the "Story point estimate 2" field instead of the currently configured one "Story point estimate".
I found the article "Some fields are not showing in any dropdown menus of dashboard gadgets" and followed the instructions there. When I found the ID number Of the original Jira field "Story point estimate" and replaced in the HTML, the Burndown chart shower the correct data, but when I switched to some other field from the dropdown I get the same issue.