Hello, in prep for the upcoming change to Jira Automation limits I've been reviewing the automation rules that are already in place. Most seem fine but I have one rule that fires on any issue update event within a given project. That seems extreme and likely to run me into trouble with the new limits so I'm hoping someone here will have a better idea for how to accomplish what this rule accomplishes.
Basically what the rule is seeking to accomplish is to have any story that gets added to an epic inherit the value of two custom fields on the epic. Specifically, there are custom fields called "Program" and "Time Classification". When a story is added to an Epic we want the story to inherit the Program and the Time Classification from the Epic.
I looked at the Issue Linked trigger but it does not appear to fire when an epic is linked to a story. The only way I could find to do this was to trigger on Issue Updated and then look at the changeLog to see if the Epic link changed. Seems inefficient but it was the only way I could see to do it when the rule was written and since there was no limit on rule executions within a single project I decided it was fine. Now if I'm only going to get 1700 rule executions/month...that might be a problem.
