Hello, I'm an experienced Jira user and I'm trying out the free Jira Cloud plan for my new project. I'm not finding any working way to add a 2nd item workflow with the free plan. There could be a bug with editing workflows as described below:
Description
When I edit the workflow for my Story and Bug item types, I'm prompted to copy the workflow to the desired item types, so I explicitly select the Story and Bug item types and hit the "Save" button, which indicates success... But then when I go back to my board or backlog, I find that Jira has also applied this workflow change to all item types in my project, overriding the workflows of item types that I didn't want to change.
The same happens in reverse, when I try to correct this result:
When I edit the Task item type's workflow, and select only the Task item type to copy the changes to, Jira will change the workflow of all of my project's item types (Task, Story, Bug).
How To Reproduce
- Start a free Jira Cloud project with a kanban board. Add a backlog.
- Add some Tasks and an Epic. Assign the tasks to the Epic, move a few Tasks to the board, and set a couple of Tasks status to "In Progress"
- Add Bug and Story item types with no customization other than their icons.
- Add one custom item link type called "Resolver" for "resolves" / "resolved by" relationships
- Add a Story item and link most of the project's Tasks to it with the "resolves" relationship.
- Edit the workflow for Story item type, and notice that Jira forcibly changes the workflows for all item types.
- Edit the workflow for Task item type, and notice that Jira again forcibly changes the workflows for all item types.
Conclusion
This looks like a bug with saving a workflow, where explicitly selecting the item types to update has no actual effect on filtering which item types have their workflows updated. This is pretty annoying because different item types naturally have different workflows, and I'm effectively prevented from having more than 1 item type workflow for this project. I assume this must only be affecting the free tier of Jira because it would be a very serious bug for paying customers. I wonder if it is also related to using a Kanban board instead of sprints.