I have a scenario where I am looking to consolidate our companies two Jira instances into one, however, there is an exact duplicate of a project name that needs to be migrated.
Jira Instance A with a project called "DEV" (Looking to migrate to Instance 
Jira Instance B with a project called "DEV" (Destination instance)
Both of these instances have been running for years with no connection whatsoever, so there is a deep history of tickets, over 4k. They are both active projects as well.
Initially, I thought about renaming the project to "SDEV", then initiating the migration, however, I fear that the backlinks that are created will no longer exist if I change the project name, migrate, then deprecate the old Jira.
Then I thought this may work much better if this is done with the existing project on our destination instance. But while researching the possible consequences of changing the key of a Project and then recreating a Project with the old key, I just found this information:
So even if I rename the 'DEV' project present today in the Jira instance B, the problem will remain exactly the same: The change of key is only 'cosmetic', the original key remains the one used by the system.
My question is: What are my options? Can this migration happen? Has anyone else come across this issue?
Thank you!