Often in our documentation sites, and those we manage for our clients, we want do display information in monospace font, without necessarily wanting it in a code block or an inline code block. I also like to be able to format (colour / bold) the text in the fixed-width font.
Examples are:
- Displaying code, but I want to highlight particular sections or words which are referred to in the accompanying documentation, or apply my own colour highlighting rather than pre-determined syntax highlighting
- Displaying example commands for users to enter in to a terminal, where I want to highlight the variables in a different colour
- Displaying example terminal output, with text colours as the user would see on their screen.
I personally have a convention on our documentation sites where instruction text (e.g. command examplees) are displayed in a white panel, whereas the resultant terminal output is displayed in a black panel.
With the loss of the panel macro since migrating to Confluence Cloud, there doesn't appear to be any way to use fixed-width font outside of of code snippet or inline code block. This is extremely limiting in terms of presenting code-based or terminal-based knowledge base items.
Does anyone else experience the same or have any suggestions for workarounds?