Both of my teams have switched to Kanban. We are watching WIP closely, both at the issue level and at the epic level. We're watching the cycle time and control charts to see what's been happening, and we've been slowly, steadily growing in the number of days we're taking to get stories completed. One of the indicators I've been monitoring is the "Days in column" indicator; this helps in the isolation of a particular status column, but it can be deceiving.
If a story languishes in progress for 4,5,6 days or more, then it finally moves over to be verified by QA, the "Days in column" starts over... but in reality, we may be in days 7 or 8 or 9. I currently have a story that's been in QA for 4 days now... but the harsh reality is it's been in progress since August 3rd.
I need some sort of indicator - on the card if at all possible, in a gadget at the minimum - which will show me in real time how long the issue has been in progress... through all the gyrations and transitions from column-to-column. The cycle time charts and control charts will tell me all about this after the fact, but it doesn't help me during the time when I could be asking others to lend a hand to get the issue through the pipeline.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to employ Great Gadgets WIP Aging chart, but at the moment I can't seem to get it to produce anything useful. I figured out what I was doing wrong with the Great Gadgets WIP Aging Chart... turns out I had an empty column on my board I didn't realize I had... eliminating that at least gives me a gadget I can park in a dashboard to report the metrics I'm needing... but I'd still like to have something on the cards on the Kanban board itself. I've looked at canned content such as the "Days in column" indicator, but there doesn't appear to be anything of a cumulative nature.
Open to suggestions, and - as always - many thanks in advance!!
Randy