I don't know if this is changed or new behaviour but if you transition a child issue to a status that is not mapped to your board, the child issue is not then counted in the Epics Panel.
You might wonder why this is a problem. Well it is common to have more than one status of Status Category Done in a Workflow. One Status maybe the normal flow through the workflow to completion e.g. Done and another maybe an escape route when something is aborted e.g. Closed and we typically assign a Resolution screen to that transition. However, we intentionally don't map the Closed status to the rightmost column in the board - so as to avoid confusion when users are dragging issues into a Column with multiple states - instead we ask that when users are aborting, they use the Transition Button instead to go to Closed and in that way we hope that each transition is intentional. But if I have an Epic with 4 issues and I transition a child issue to an off-board Status, I know have an Epic showing in the Epics Panel with 3 issues ! Is that new behaviour or behaviour that I have only just noticed. I don't understand the logic behind it