I've just created a new "team-managed" project and I cannot for the life of me get the backlog to work. I am by no means new to Jira, but this is my first time managing a new, unconfigured, project.
I know there are a million previous posts asking about this and I promise I've read them all. I've found plenty of people asking for what I'm asking for, but no direct explanations of how to achieve this outcome. Forgive me for being the million and first person to ask.
My team and I are working in a Kanban structure and intend for the backlog to hold all of our "future but not planned" work - as distinct from the tickets in To Do, In Progress, etc. I have seen everyone's recommendations that we create a Backlog column on our Kanban board and assign tickets there, but that is very explicitly NOT something we want. We very specifically want the columns To Do, In Progress, In Review, and Done to appear on our Kanban board, and for all work that is not ready for To Do yet (in essence, work we know will be done but isn't next in the queue) to be hidden from the Kanban board and to be in our Backlog where it belongs.
Please, how do I achieve this for my team?
Edited to add: I have enabled the Backlog in my project settings, and there is no "backlog" column automatically appearing under Project Settings > Columns and Statuses.
Our goal workflow is for any issue with the Open status to appear automatically in our Backlog, and to automatically transition from the Backlog to the Kanban Board when we change their status from Open to To Do, In Progress, etc.