We have about 300 Jira users that don't actually use Jira, but were added as licensed users to be added to specific issues as a Watcher. This is so they get email notifications when a comment is added or when an issue is transitioned.
This practice eats up a lot of licenses for people who don't interact with Jira (that never log in, added comments, create issues, transition issues, etc.).
I'm hoping the community can help me brainstorm ideas for an alternative. Otherwise, we're going to have to increase our license tier, which we are trying to avoid.
Additional information:
* This was set-up long before I came on board, so I don't have all the history.
* Watchers are added individually to issues, so it's not a specific group watching issues based on criteria (as far as I can tell).
I'll update this as you have more questions and I can answer them.
Thanks!