Brand new to Jira, so please be patient! Specifically, I might not have my terminology right, so please feel free to correct me.
We are in the early stages of planning a new project that will result in four closely-related web sites. We want to be able to set up something where we can throw ideas around, then formalise them into tasks.
We have enough of an idea how it's going to be structured that we can set up (say) an epic for each web site, then tasks for each major area of a site, then add subtasks for more specific features in each area. All of this would go in a backlog to start with.
We can then use each subtask to discuss the specs for the item. When we've got it clear, we'd then assign the subtask to a release/sprint for development.
I started a project based on the Kanban template, as the video I saw on one of the pages here made it look like it was what I wanted. However, I added some epics to the board, but they didn't show up. I added some tasks, and set the epic for each one, at which point the tasks showed up, but not as children of their epic.
Am I doing something wrong, or can I not see my items as a hierarchy?
Thanks for any help you can give.