How can I also see initiatives in the timeline view.
Now I can only see Epics and Storys, but not the initiatves. And when I create a plan it does not link the Epics to the Storys but it does it in the timeline view.
HI @Daphne Wallen !
To confirm, before diving deeper into your question, have you configured initiatives in both Jira configuration and you advanced roadmaps plan?
You can check out this article on the topic to see if you've ticked all the boxes in the configuration process.
Hi! I have configured everything but in the timeline view, I can't see my initiatives. I want to be able to see them so that I can roll-up all of my epics into initiatives at the timeline view -- to declutter (I have 100 epics going right now).
@Daphne Wallen @kriegelm did either of you guys manage to solve this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem.
@Diogo Teles @kriegelm @Lloyd Phillips @Daphne Wallen
Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem?
I too would like to roll-up all of my epics into initiatives at the timeline view to declutter and provide context.
Hi @Tommy Mathison !
Thank you for revisiting this, It's been so long I had completely forgotten about this. Funny enough, just this week I had to set up a jira instance with initiatives and a Plan in Advanced Roadmaps (now advanced planning), so this is now quite fresh in my mind. I have been working on Jira work management and this is what seems to be the current state:
Some assumptions first - you have the issuetype initiative, you've gone to Jira settings and set up the hierarchy, and you've added the Initiative issue to your project, along with epic issue type and the rest of the gang.
With this done you need to make sure you have the "Parent" field on your epic and you set it, for each epic, to be the initiative you want to be the parent of your epic.
Then this happens on the timeline and list views:
In a view with no filters applied your epics will be nested under the initiative. There will be the tiny plus sign on the initiative that will allow you expand it and show its child epics.
However..... the same epics show as individual lines further down in the list (or timeline) effectively duplicating them in the list or timeline. I very much doubt this is intentional, as the view will get cluttered very quickly if you have even just half a dozen initiatives with half dozen epis each. You can drag the epics up or down to make their positioning better, but it is still a bit of work. Once you've done this the order stays in place, so you will only have to do it once (e.g. after creation of a new epic on the initiative)To make things more complicated, the moment you apply a view filter to your list or timeline the nesting seems to break, and you are left with a single tier list of all your issues.
I very much expect (hope is a more accurate term) that this will improve this year.There is a very neat and quick workaround if you have Jira Cloud Premium or Enterprise: create a Plan in advanced planning (aka Advanced roadmaps). Nesting works perfectly in plans. The hierarchy is respected and you have a lot more options to customise the timeline view.
I am trying to do the same, I do not see Advanced Roadmaps (advanced planning) where would I find? My timeline only shows EPICs not are not part of the initiative. I need it to show both. Thank you
Hi @Sandra Bolosan ,
What kind of project do you have (e.g. Jira work management, software, service management)? company or team managed?
Advanced Planning can be accessed by clicking the "Plans" butto on jira's top bar, but you need to have Jira Premium on Cloud to be able to use this feature.
On your project, you need to the Initiative issue type and a few more requirements. The rest of the requirements will depend on the type of project you have.
edit: mistake on my side- please delete comment
Trying to do the same!
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.