I have a team-managed Jira Software project. When a new issue is created, the issue is added to the backlog, but is not added to the board. When i select the Backlog view from the left, on the right pane I have collapsible sections for Board and for Backlog. Created items are added to the Backlog, but not to the Board. The end result is that when viewing the Board, which is the typical view the users are using, there may be numerous items that are not showing.
As an example, I have created an issue type for Dev Assist, which can be used by our support team on our Support project to create a linked issue requesting assistance from a dev. The issue is created just fine, and I have an automation that will transition it to a Dev Assist status. The status is assigned to a column on the Board and all of that happens perfectly. However, because the issue gets assigned to Backlog and not to Board, the issue is not visible until I manually go into the backlog view and move the items from the backlog up to the board. Then everything is visible as expected.
I have read numerous things about board filters, but because this is a Team-managed project, my understanding is there are no board filters and I haven't been able to find anything that leads me to believe otherwise.