Context
My question is in the context of post-migration activities (from Server to Cloud) where bulk edits are required to data in migrated custom fields.
Other users might want to do bulk edits for other reasons.
In this case we need to update 5k to 6k issues.
Approach
I know it is possible to do this using bulk edit - you just need to repeat the process (6 times in my case) updating 1000 issues each run. This is pretty tedious, and more so for larger numbers of issues.
Instead I created a scheduled automation rule to update issues matching a specific JQL. This gets throttled and results in errors on the Automation page, but at least it does update the issues. Not sure how the Cloud Ops team feel about this...
Question
Can you make a JQL query that returns a maximum number of rows? Something like SQL TOP or LIMIT clauses.
After reading the documentation I have not found a way to do this.
I guess you could do this using the REST API but that seems overkill for a simple search and replace operation.
Has anyone found a better solution?