I work for a medical device company that has recently moved its quality system to confluence. It is my job to write scientific documentation for regulatory submissions which requires rigorous referencing of the scientific literature. However, I am finding the referencing/citation tools in confluence difficult to work with and suspect that they aren't sufficient for the task when compared to the integration of references managers (e.g., zotero) into MS Word.
My specific issue is with the ability of Simple Cite to facilitate frequent and numerous references within a document. These are my issues:
DOI Cite: works well for single citations but requires me to remember the doi every time I want to cite, which isnt possible. Once cited, I can use short cite to reference but again, I need to know which DOI is the one I want.
Bibtex cite: I have attached a my reference library to a confluence page and can use citation keys to access citations. However, I need to remember and insert the citation keys in their entirety (e.g., griffinATTRAmyloidosisCurrent2021) every time I want to cite, which isnt possible. Bibtex references also dont seem to appear in the short cite macro once cited.
I don't think single citation or plain citation work well for this purpose either.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong or there's another tool out there. Would love some suggestions. I'm using a MacBookPro and Chrome (Safari seems not to work with Simple Cite at all!)