There are Jira apps out there that once installed can change the Reporter field to, in the example I have in mind, the name of the app itself, or some other name — a name that is not an existing users, nor gets added to the list of users. A bot.
We're in a position where we're syncing GitHub issues to our Jira projects, but we're forced into using an existing user. That's not useful in the long run; we'd like to be able to switch the reporter so that it says something like "Octocat" to represent that the issue was brought in from GitHub.
I know we can't populate the reporter with just an arbitrary name of a GitHub user (nor do I think we'd want to; we're tracking that info within the Description itself).
What options do I have to make this happen? We're a software company so we can create an app for ourselves, but before I dive into that rabbit hole, is there a more straightforward way to do this? A call that can be made at the time of creation? A script or automation?