Considering that you can have a specific project type (Kanban or Scrum) and then multiple board regardless of the project configuration. What are really the main difference (advantages and disadvantages) from the following two configurations:
Configuration 1
- Project Type: Scrum
- Board A (Scrum), Board B (Scrum), Board C (Kanban)
Configuration 2:
- Project Type: Kanban
- Board A (Scrum), Board B (Scrum), Board C (Kanban)
We want to have everything in a single project and distinguish teams by components. The Board C correspond to Architectural Runway Team, that maybe fits better Kanban (I don't know what is the best practice around this). In both cases we want multi-sprint (parallel sprint) option enable, so we can have more than one active sprint at the same time. Per my understanding this configuration is at a project level not at a board level, correct?
Since we are not sprinting at project level, just at a team level. The only advantage I see for Configuration 1, is that you can have in the main project board, in a single view all the Active Sprints for both Scrum Board and also in the backlog you can see all the Sprints we have defined in both scrum boards.
Under Kanban project you can have a simplified view of the entire project, but not a global visibility to all the sprints of the project. You need to go to the specific Scrum board to visualize the information. Since we want to enable multi-sprint I don't know if this option is available for a Kanban project too (I am not JIra admin). if it is not possible, then it would be deal break.
Is there is anything else we would need to consider to make a decision on which scenario fits better?
We are looking for a best Jira project configuration, for our next PI, and we are evaluating the pros and cons of each configuration under a single Jira project. I don't think it is possible to convert the project type from Kanban to Scrum and viceversa once it was created, so the decision we are going to make should remain in the future. That is why I would like to evaluate the pros and cons of each configuration. Thanks