Hello - I'm trying to have JIRA auto assign new issues created based on the epic its opened with - but both of my attempts of writing the rules are failing. Could someone take a look and let me know where I might need to tweak things for it to not fail?
Hello @Maggie Spitchka
A child issue will not contain the Name of its parent Epic. It actually contains the issue key (i.e. ABC-123) of the parent Epic. The Jira UI will resolve that automatically to show you the Epic Name.
When looking at the parent Epics what are the parameters for how you then assign the child issues?
Do you want to assign the child issue to the same person assigned to the parent Epic?
Do you want to assign the child issue to a specific person based on the Name of the parent Epic?
If you are relying on the name of the parent Epic, are you wanting to match the complete Name or partially match the Name? Could multiple Epics have similar names that would match the criteria?
All of the names will be different, so should not conflict with other names matching. I believe we use parent/child interchangeably, so however I can set it up so that it is assigned to a specific user based on the parent epic (or even the child epic - because they're all 1:1 same thing / match of content). Does that make sense?
Is the name of the user you want to assign to the issue contained in the parent Epic somewhere? If so, then you could use an Edit action to copy the value from the parent Epic to the issue that has been created.
If not, and you have to use a set of If statements to set the Assignee explicitly based on the parent Epic then the way to do that is with the issue Key for the parent Epic.
Are you working in a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?
Let us say the following is true.
If you are working with issues in a Company Managed project then your rule would look like this
And the If/Else-if components look like this (substitute the correct Project restriction for your scenario):
Okay this is EXTREMELY helpful - thank you! I've built part of it, can you just confirm - the right side screenshot you put, would I have that if statement in between the if and the else, or after the Else - I start another "if" and then repeat the "else" after each time?
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.