I’m writing about a new problem we started experiencing yesterday (February 6, 2023). In the early morning, our Jira system was working perfectly without a hitch. But soon, the Jira system started acting up, failing to display many of our open tickets. If you look at the screenshot titled “SystemDashboard,” you’ll see how our various filtered views appear incorrectly.

When we attempt to search for various tickets, we received error notices (see screenshots “SearchError1” and “SearchError2”).


I then navigated to the System support tab, clicked on Troubleshooting and Support Tools, then performed a health check on the system. Two errors were found.
- The first error showed that Jira version 7.9.x has reached End of Life and that we should upgrade (see screenshot titled “HealthCheck_EndOfLife”)

- The second error displayed an Indexing issue related to Lucene. If you look at the screenshot titled “HealthCheck_Lucene,” you can see that that Lucene search terminated abnormally.

Searching for a way to resolve these issues, I looking into Lucene Search indexes and found this article. The one piece of information that stuck out was the Lucene search terminated abnormally. If you look at the screenshot titled “LuceneSearch,” I’m instructed to have this issue assessed by Atlassian. Heavy load in the Jira instance may instigate this problem.

Basically, we’re looking for a streamlined way to resolve the search errors that keep triggering. I'm including some additional information about our Jira version so that I can receive a better diagnosis.
Jira Software (Server): version 7.9.1
Database Type: mysql
Database Version: 5.5.5-10.3.27-MariaDB
The Add-Ons we have include:
- Time Reports for Jira (version 2.3.9)
- Atlassian Troubleshooting and Support Tools (version 1.8.11)
- Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager Plugin (version 2.22.4)