I'm not sure the best way to go about this.
Historically we've used stories, tasks and bugs etc to manage our acceptance criteria for each item that we need to work on. We have an "Acceptance Criteria" field with "Given, When, Then" scenarios. This has generally worked well for us.
The issue I have is there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to provide the specification for a particular release. We use the "releases" functionality to track a release and that obviously keeps track of the work completed for a particular release but that doesn't tell me what that version of software does. I'd like to have a full software spec, basically an accumulation of the work done in releases to that point.
I've thought about using Confluence for this but I find it a lot more natural and easier to have the specification in a Jira story instead of having to link across.
Any suggestions are welcome, thank you!