Starting off, I'm PM for a small inside dev team. Before 2023 we were using Time Estimate as our time tracking of choice, and that provided many benefits. Paired with Bitbucket, devs could easily log time as they worked, and I had clear insight (without having to bug devs at a micro level!) into individual ticket progress.
Beginning 2023, we switched over to story pointing. I (think) fully understand the rationale behind story pointing, but either I'm missing the benefits as a project manager, or there are very few.
A couple things off the top of my head that I don't feel I'm getting with story points:
- As said above, other than what column a ticket is in, I cannot get a sense of progress (how much work has been done, how close/far work is from estimate, etc). Is there any way to approximate this using story points?
- While we're pretty good at estimating, there's always that ticket either over or under estimate when delivered. Using time, it was clear how much over/under work was done to complete ticket, and we could create filters etc to list them out for team discussion. We're trying to approximate this using a custom field, but the dev now has another step to enter something in "Actual Story Point" and this feels a bit arbitrary since it's based on opinion/feeling and not *actual time spent*. Is there any way to approximate this using story points?
To be 100% honest, I'm no fan of story points but am resolved to get the most out of them because the team (and director
) wanted to try them out. 2 out of 4 devs appreciate time tracking, 2 out of 4 devs feel anxious about time tracking. To be clear, we've never and have no plans to use time tracking as a way to evaluate dev performance; time was only used to track progress, help define scope/timeline, and refine estimating (among other things).
Our next step is to get closer to calculating a reasonable velocity based on story pointing, we don't have enough sprints done yet to get our first average.
99% of my internet searches on this topic result in pages of "how to implement story point" posts, but that's only the beginning step. I'm looking for more "veteran" tips on how story points fit into the day-to-day management of a sprint and larger project.
Any help toward this would be *greatly* appreciated! 