My organization has just started using the Advanced Roadmaps feature in Jira. One of our teams requested that the "Start date" field be automatically populated instead of requiring a manual update.
(Note: Most of the issues we are looking at for this example were created before Advanced Roadmaps was enabled for us, in case that is relevant).
I went to create an automation for one project to set the "Start date" (lowercase "d", since that's what displays on the Advanced Roadmap view) when a sprint is started, if the "Start date" field is empty.
However I'm not able to query for "Start date" is EMPTY because I receive the following error: "Field 'Start date[Date]' is not searchable, it is only sortable."
I found the following KB article to address this issue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jql-fails-with-field-field_name-is-not-searchable-it-is-only-sortable-message-1097184358.html but it only works for unlocked fields. "Start date" is locked, which means I can't change the search template.
Am I doing something wrong with my attempts to use JQL on this field? It seems strange that I'm effectively unable to query it, especially given filters are one of the options for determining your issues for a plan.