I think the solution to my question is to set the Issue Type Hierarchy but due to the message "Moving or changing hierarchy levels of issue types will break existing parent links in all company-managed projects in your site. This change can't be reversed." I'm concerned that I may break the linking within other projects in our instance of Jira which I need to avoid if at all possible. The parent / child relationships in the other projects are only subtasks to issues.
My goal is to properly account for the following hierarchy in my project while reviewing the plans and Roadmap with: CIT (top level in my project), Resolution Plan, Milestone, Sub-Task. So, in the plan hierarchy view I want to be able to have a CIT with child resolution plan issues as dependencies, which will have Milestone issues as dependencies to those.
Currently the hierarchy is set: 2 Resolution Plan, 1 Epic, Story, Sub-Task. Note, Story and Sub-task do not have hierarchy numbers by them.
My Questions:
1. If I modify the hierarchy will parent child relationships in other projects break if I use the final hierarchy as: 1 Epic, 2 CIT, 3 Resolution Plan, 4 Milestone, Story, Sub-Task?
2. If it will break the parent / child relationships in the other project is there another way to accomplish my goal?