Hi Everyone
I have an existing automation that creates a bunch of predefined Subtasks for an Epic when the automation is Manually Triggered, it creates about 11 in total. The Summary given to each subtask takes the form of the Epic Summary followed by a specific summary for each Subtask, which takes the form of - Subtask Name.
For example, if the Epic Summary is Upgrade PC 1234, then the Subtasks will be automatically created as:
- Upgrade PC 1234 - Backup Personal Data & Profile Info
- Upgrade PC 1234 - Wipe Old Drive
- Upgrade PC 1234 - Install new Image
- Upgrade PC 1234 - Restore User Profile & Data
- etc...
Essentially, it's a set of common tasks that need to be performed in a specific order for Epics of a particular nature. Note: This is not actually for PC upgrading, but my use case would be confusing, so this is just an example I have provided). This automation is all working as intended, it's the next bit that I need help with.
Here is where I need help
The Subtasks begin life all pre-assigned with a status of BACKLOG, except the first one, which has a status of IN PROGRESS. As each Subtask is worked on and completed, they will be transitioned to CLOSED. Once each subtask is transitioned to CLOSED I need the next one in the list to automatically Transition from BACKLOG to IN PROGRESS, until the last one, which when CLOSED should transition the Parent Epic to CLOSED (or maybe a pre-closure status - yet to be decided).
Other Info
- I can restrict this to within a specific Project, it doesn't need to occur across multiple projects.
- the subtasks are not 'linked' other than they all reside under the same parent epic
- if it helps, as the subtasks are all created via automation at the same time, their numbering is sequential (ie CYSE-200, CYSE-201, CYSE-202 etc...
- Ideally, I need to be able to do this without any Addons, as the company is not willing to invest in addons for this purpose (at least, not at this time)
- Preference would be for an automatic trigger, but worst case I could live with Manually Triggering at the closure of each Subtask if there is no automatic option for this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.