I have several different practice areas using JIRA for issue/request tracking and support. Each of these areas may have several types of issues they'd like to collect, and each one has different data fields. I started creating custom fields for each, but my list is starting to get very long and tough to manage. I was wondering if this is the best way to continue building out these new forms, or am I bending JIRA away from what it was intended?
For example, one manager would like a status report issue type, it's got about 10 new fields. Another manager is looking for Environement request issues, 25 questions to fill out.
Some of the info I'm sure can be used for reporting and those I know should be in the issue but if it's just informational, is there a better way to collect the information?
Since I can't comment on my own issue, I'm going to just edit it. Neither of the response to this question directly answered my question. However I was able to et an answer from the Summit. Basically it is perfectly acceptable to create more fields as needed, and there is not currrently an alternative way to collect info on an issue w/o creating extra fields. I only wish the user interface was better.