Via the Jira Cloud API v2, I deleted an important project. I need to recover this project. When the project was deleted, the `enableUndo` property wasn't passed so it defaulted to false.
What are my options? And how can I recover this project?
For the record, `enableUndo` should default to true since it's the less harmful option.
Hi @Kyle Wright
Have you tried looking in the trash? Projects along with their issues, components, attachments, and versions will be available in trash for 60 days, after which they will be permanently deleted.
You should be able to recover your project from there.
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/restore-a-project-from-trash/
Since the `enableUndo` field wasn't provided, it defaulted to false which means it's not in the trash.
Gotcha! Sorry Kyle, I misunderstood so that’s my bad.
You could try contacting Atlassian support but I’m afraid this project cannot be recovered since it has been permanently deleted.
@Kyle Wright -
In general Jira/JSM, when an object is deleted, it is gone and cannot be restored. This is also true if the deletion action was performed via the UI or via REST APIs. It is always recommended to review the delete action carefully before the actual execution.
For project, (for premium plan or above subscription), if the project was "moved to trash" by the system admins via the UI (see below)
then the admin can restore those projects from trash areas. All deleted (trashed) projects are kept for 60 days. Please refer to the following page on project deletion and restore: - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/trash-for-jira-cloud-projects/
Best, Joseph Chung Yin
Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team
Viasat Inc.
Thanks for the response Joseph.
What I find difficult to understand is that in the UI, I'm not given an option to immediately delete a project. First, I'd have to move it to the trash bin. Then, I could permanently delete it from the trash bin. If a project was mistakingly moved to the trash, it can easily be recovered. Steps like this hopefully prevent people from regrettably deleting projects permanently.
Via the API, however, these preventative measures don't exist. The `enableUndo` field is optional. Not only is it optional, it defaults to the most catastrophic option in the case that it's not provided. I know, I should have been more careful with the API and that's on me, but I'd also hope that there'd be some type of safeguard in place to prevent the terrible outcome that I'm currently facing. Why not default `enableUndo` to true or require the parameter?
Any help from Atlassian to recover this project, as it is absolutely crucial to our organization, would be extremely appreciated.
Also, adding a safeguard to the API endpoint should be implemented.
You will need to contact Atlassian Support for further assistance (https://support.atlassian.com). I agreed with you that Atlassian should enable the 'enableUndo' idea with REST APIs usages by default.
Best, Joseph
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.