I have a table without any merged cells (as far as I can tell), yet when I want to sort it I get an error popup message saying "You can't sort a table with merged cell" . How can I find out which cells are merged? Is this a Confluence bug?
@Mihai Codoban Your table must have a merged cell somewhere in the table. If you can not easily see where it is you would have to view the table in edit mode, click on each cell option until you see split cell and that is your merged cell.
> If you can not easily see where it isIs there a way one can easily see where it is?
> you would have to view the table in edit mode, click on each cell option
What if there's ~80 cells? Surely this can't be the intentionally designed experience
@Mihai Codoban It is usually a couple of columns that were combined. I would suggest just looking at the ones on the top if you do not visually see cells that are actually combined.
Clicked all the cells, none has "split cell" enabled.
I think the message is misleading. When I click to sort on table headers I get:
A-Z sort
Clicking a second time, I get
Z-A sort
Clicking a third time, I get the "Can't sort with merged cell" message. What actually happens on the third click is that the table is returned to the default sort.
However, it does look like there is a sort bug on strings from my experience. It looks like sorting only applies to the first word in a string
See: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONFCLOUD-73756
I was able to get this to work by deleting the Header Row and then adding a new row. I copied the header text for each column and placed it in notepad. Then put that text into the top of each column then went to Cell Options and made that row the Header Row and it worked perfect!
The error message "You can't sort a table with merged cell" appeared when I copy pasted the contents from a table straight from an Excel spreadsheet.
It doesn't matter if the data uses the "format as table" functionality. When the data is copied into Confluence, it is a literal copy of the data as you see it in the cells. If you see any of the content spilling into the next cell, Confluence will see as a merged cell. I had to expand each column before copying to Confluence to ensure there is no chance of a "merged cell", then added a header row to make the data sortable.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.