As a Jira Cloud user, some time back we lost the time tracking configuration that once allowed me to protect the 'Original Estimate' from being altered once a work log exists on the issue. It would hide the original estimate from being changed and only expose a means to update time remaining. This was great.
The problem is that a worker can alter the value to make the result of the task appear to come in under budget.
I may just be out of luck right now but don't find many answers here.
I have the jmwe add-on. I'm having trouble finding a validator on a workflow step to trap this value from being edited. It would need to determine if I am editing the original estimate field but only if a work log exists.
The problem is that even if I do get this validation working, this will only block edits to the 'original estimate' field during a workflow transition. Since the 'Time Tracking' field is available on the issue and since it is a conglomerate of the 'original estimate' and 'time remaining' fields, a worker can still access and alter the original estimate without doing a transition which in theory could be blocked by a validator.
Use cases:
- Force the user to set an original estimate on the issue early (I have this working and business process is place on the team).
- Disallow edits to the 'original estimate' when it's work log count > 0 (it must protect this field from edits throughout the lifecycle of the issue not just during a transition.)
The only idea that seems sort of feasible is to remove the 'time tracking' field completely from all screens related to that issue type. I use Tempo Timesheets for time tracking by the way and since it's 'log time' dialog does not expose the 'original estimate' perhaps this is the best I can do. The problem with this approach is that we are unable to adjust time remaining directly on the issue since the only means to edit time remaining will be in conjunction with entry of a work log there. I'm curious how others are dealing with this...thanks for reading.