I created a rule based on this article https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73041627/clone-jira-epic-with-child-issues and it's working perfectly.
However, I have sub-tasks within the stories being cloned and I cannot find a way to trigger the other rule I have... which I basically copied from this other post - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Is-there-a-way-to-clone-ONE-Epic-so-it-brings-over-links-and/qaq-p/796870Any idea of how to merge these two automations or find a way to trigger the sub-tasks one when the epic and stories are cloned?
I removed the "delete clone links" suggested on the first article but it's still not adding the link so I think it's why it's not triggering the 2nd automation.
Hi @Paty Souza
Just to confirm, are you trying to use two different automation rules, whereby the actions of the first rule lead to the triggering of the second one?
If so...the second rule (the one triggered by the actions of the first rule) should have "Allow Rule Trigger" enabled in the rule details. This option is off by default to prevent errors and/or run-away rule execution.
If this is not the case, please post images of your rules and the audit log details, showing the executions of the rules. That may provide context for the community to offer suggestions. Thanks!
Kind regards,Bill
Hi @Bill Sheboy
I did not have the allow rule trigger enabled. Changed that and my 2nd rule is still not getting triggered.
I have screenshots above of both rules.... here is the audit logs for both of them
I only see an image of one of your rules and the audit log for the other. From what you show, that option for "Allow Rule Trigger" needs to be enabled, and...
I wonder if the link is not firing the trigger because of when the link occurs in the issue cloning process: as part of create rather than separately. For rules I use to detect/respond to cloned issues, I trigger on issue created and then immediately look for the clone link(s) before proceeding. Perhaps look into trying that approach instead.
I've faced the same issue when trying to copy "Epic --> Tasks --> Subtasks" per schedule. Here is how I solved it;
As I need to copy all this set of issues - I can separate them by using the current month and year.
For linking NEW subtasks with the NEW tasks I use "More options" and the following JSON:
{ "fields": { "parent": { "key": "{{createdIssues.first.key}}" } }}
Please notice that both rules are triggered on schedule, the first one - at 9:00 AM, the second - at 9:05 AM.
It is possible to make another trigger, kind of "When an issue is created" --> Issuetype == Epic --> Summary ~ "...."
Although you can achieve your goal with Jira Automations, but if you are willing to use a third-party app, our Deep Clone for Jira can make it a lot easier. With our Epic/Tree Clone feature, you can clone whole issue hierarchies (Initiatives → Epics → Tasks/Stories → Subtasks). The process would look like this:
Navigate to the issue you want to clone
Click Action menu ••• > Deep Clone
Select Epic/Tree Clone
Configure and create your Epic/Tree Clone
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.