We are trying to determine why Our sprint shows ay more story points than what we planned for and what we are actively working on. When we complete a sprint for example and we rollover two tickets it will show for example rolling over 13 story points which is inaccurate. I have a theory on what the issue could be but I need confirmation.
I believe that related issues to that ticket whether in the current sprint or not add to the total count for your current sprint. So for example a if a related issue to a ticket that is 3 story points, has estimation of 4 story points. This would be an additional 4 story points added to your count but not have been accounted for. Is this correct? And if so what are the options to have a more accurate count? Would we want to delink the related issues and have them as stand alone issue or do we need to make sure that related issues are worked with in that current Sprint?
If that is not the source of our problem would anyone know what could be the source?
Thanks.