Hi there, I am new to JIRA.
Just a disclaimer, I've done reading documentation, searching and watching Youtube videos plus Googling. I couldn't find a good answer to the problem I am facing so decided to ask here.
I was used to other platforms where task is a child of story (such as Azure DevOps). So when you move task to Done, you get a burndown. However here, I realized that task is at the same level as story. But I've already created a board - with the stories broken down into tasks! Now if I move both stories and tasks then I would get the same stories burnt twice.
For this sprint, in order to circumvent that (since it's sprint 1, I have room to maneuver), I decided to change user story points for the stories to zero. So I can move the stories and the tasks associated to it without getting the same stories burnt twice. However! It seems that JIRA Software did not take that into consideration and still count in my zero-ed stories...
Any idea what I can do? I have exhausted all avenues so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
First follow-up question is: if I broke down my task into stories, and wanted to just burn the tasks and now the stories, would that work in JIRA? If not, what is the best practice?
Second follow-up question: If I estimate using story points first, followed by doing time tracking using estimates (logging work by weeks/days/hours/minutes), would that work better? I would prefer not to do the tracking using estimated hours/remaining estimates because my client wants to track using story points. Is there any recommendation/best practice I can follow?
Thank you for your help.