Is it possible to clone an Epic including its child issues in Jira Software without paying for deep cloning
Hi @Sama Mohamed - You could do this with automation:
Hi Sama,
Not that I am aware of. But it will be well worth your money in my opinion. :-)
Hello Mark, thank you for your answer.
Can you kindly clarify this part :
where do I put the Epic link and varNewEpic?
@Mark Segall
On your clone issue action, you'll want to copy/paste this into the Epic Link section:
{{varNewEpic}}
Hello,I followed all the steps which were very well detailed, I was able to clone epics with their issues, but for the step of cloning the subtasks of the issues present in the epic, what happens to me is that when I clone the subtasks through the second automation rule, these subtasks are linked to the initial issue and not to the new cloned one, for example:
- Epic 1 -Issue A -Issue B - Subtask 1 - Subtask 2
When cloning it is as follows, the original epic:- Epic 1 -Issue A -Issue B - Subtask 1 - Subtask 2 - Clone of Subtask 1 - Clone of Subtask 2
The new cloned epic- Clone of Epic 1 - Clone of Issue A - Clone of Issue B
The problem is that when cloning the subtasks they are linked to the original issue (Issue , and I couldn't find a way to assign those subtasks to the new cloned issue (Clone of Issue .
In the case of cloning epic and its issues, there is a condition that changes the EpicLink of the new issues.
At the moment I have not found how to make that relationship for the subtasks with the new cloned issue.
Hi @sama mohamed / @Iván Muñoz
Here are screen shots of the two rules:
RULE 1 - Clone Epic and Stories
The key aspects of this
The key pieces to this rule are:
Rule #2 - Clone Sub-Tasks
So explanation on the second rule:
@Mark Segall thank you so so much for your effort the rule has finally worked as charm )) that was so helpful, I can't imagine, and thank you for explaining the logic behind it.
@Iván Muñoz Hi Ivan, please follow the steps that Mr.Mark has written, it will work perfectly but a small note here, in the yellow arrow please put the cloneAction label in (Values to add not in Values to delete) in order for it to work
Hi @Mark Segall and @Sama Mohamed
I already get working the automation, with this I can move forward in my processes and save a lot of time manually cloning epics/issues/subtasks, thanks a lot.
One more question..
From what I see the cloning process or cycle is done in parallel, I was looking for a way that when cloning an epic, the order of the issues/subtasks was the same as that of the original/template.
At this time in some it does and in others it doesn't for example:-Epic 1 -Issue A -Issue B -Subtask 1 - Subtask 2
The new cloned epic- Clone of Epic 1 - Clone of Issue B -Clone of Subtask 2 -Clone of Subtask 1 - Clone of Issue A
Do you know of any way in which the cloning cycle is done in ascending order based on the Issue ID?
Thank you very much in advance for the help.
I followed the same rule in this post but it only clones the epic without the stories.
NOTE: Removed my images. Did not realize it would all expand and spam the space.
Hi @Endre and welcome to the community!
If I may ask, can you please create a new question in the community for this? You can reference this question/answer and @mention me so I get pinged on it. This thread was already a long one and I just want to make sure your question doesn't get lost.
Thanks Mark. Finally I figured out the issue. I thought the manual trigger would trigger when I manually select Clone from the issue action menu. Still not sure what is manual trigger so used a different trigger that actually turned out as a value add. I share it here in case someone find it useful.
Can you post the final rule here?
Hello @Mark Segall
I also have a problem with automation, it clones the Epic but nothing else, can you help me with this?
Even when I turn the subtask cloning off, it only clones the Epic.
And also the sub-task cloning:
Are there any mistakes or...? I can't figure this out on my own, have been at it for 2days straight now.
I'm using a Team-based project board...
Edit: idk why I got put in the middle, when clearly I was answering in the end.
Hi @Henri Oru - Can we please move this to a new question (just mention me in the new question)? This one has gotten quite long and will be difficult to continue managing.
Hey @Sama Mohamed
If cloning an epic is not just a flash in the pan for you, but you want to repeat it multiple times, your epic is a process because recurring projects are processes!
Flower - Process Automation clones your Jira epics as repeatable processes, including all issues, links, and structures.
Here is how to clone an epic as a process.
Happy automating,
Florian
Hi All - This is by far the most straight forward instructional I have found on how to clone epics with tasks and subtasks.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Clone-Epic-Stories-and-Subtasks-tree-with-Jira-Automation/ba-p/2316387
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.