This seems like a basic setup I am trying to do, but so far have failed at implementing it. Without using a marketplace plug-in, I am trying to do the following:
Create a workflow in a specific Project that requires one or more users to allow certain transitions in a Task or Story.
This is what I have done so far:
- Create a System Project Role called Dev project approvers
- Assign 2 users to the Dev project approvers,, i.e., user1 & user2
- Create a new Project, called APPROVE
- Create a new Workflow in APPROVE called Dev workflow

- Add the same condition in Approve and Decline transitions,Only users in project role Dev project approvers

- Logged in a user not in the project role, i.e., user3 (Trusted user)
- Created Task and was able to transition it to all statuses
Another thing to note:
- If I restrict the project permission Transition Issues to the Project Role Dev project approvers, then user3 cannot perform any transitions (as expected).
- If I add back the Application access (Any logged in user) to the project permission Transition Issues, then user3 can transition the Task to any status (not applying the condition in the Workflow).