What are the steps to create a new backlog on a board that has multiple existing backlogs on it?
Welcome to the Atlassian Community!
Backlogs don't belong to projects, they're part of a board. For certain types of project, the answer is "yes" though - you can create multiple boards that draw in issues from your proect and that board will have its own backlog, separate from the others you may have created.
Hi Nic, Sorry. I wrote the question incorrectly...
Re-stated Question: "What are the steps to create a new backlog on a board that has multiple existing backlogs already on it, but I want to keep the other existing backlogs too?"
Background: I just wanted to create another backlog called "UX Backlog," that when I do, I will see it at the bottom of the other teams' backlogs on the original board.I am on a large multi-team software program that has on its board, multiple backlogs for each team's sprint. I am an admin, and I can create a board. But when I did, it placed all the existing backlogs in it. But that's not what I wanted. I just wanted to create another backlog called "UX Backlog," that when I do, I will see it at the bottom of the other teams' backlogs on the original board.
Um, you can't actually do that. There's no such thing as "a board with multiple backlogs". A board has a backlog, that's it. The board and backlog are two ways of looking at one thing.
So, I'm now very confused on what you are doing, as there's no way to have multiple backlogs in a single backlog. Do you mean you have multiple boards defined differently, and therefore having different backlogs that might include the same issues?
I need to get the terms clarified first. I know the classic definition of a backlog is a "dedicated space for defining epics, stories, tasks and bugs for a project (development effort)." How do you use the term? What's a Jira "board?" What's a Jira "backlog?" What are multiple containers called in Jira that function as multiple backlogs when a user selects the "Backlog" option in the left margin? Those multiple containers within the backlog menu option all seem to me to be functioning as micro backlogs.
At work, the admins set up a Project that contains multiple boards, and a backlog for each that holds multiple backlogs or containers with unique names that hold epics, stories, bugs, etc.
Here is how I interpret Jira's software: At the top navbar for Jira, I see the hierarchy of Project. I select a project and it loads it. At the top left margin, there is a dropdown that can hold multiple boards. Select a board, and the page loads. Select the backlog of that board; it loads the page. As I scroll down the page, I see multiple backlogs: one is called backlog, another Sprint 113, another Team RedRiders. There's about 10 of them. These are each holding epics, stories, bugs, etc. Question: What do you call those in Jira? We are calling them backlogs.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.