Hi All
Hope everyone is having a good week thus far. I have a broad question that might help with my understanding of Jira.
We have a past sprint (sprint 8) that remains on the backlog. I did some digging into the data and found the following:
- 3 issues didn't have resolution dates so I asked the Scrum Master to add resolution status and a resolved date appeared. Albeit this resolved date is in the future as opposed to when the actual sprint finished.
- 2 issue had no assignee so this was addressed.
- 3 issues whilst being assigned to sprint 8 never appeared on the burndown report. All had an issue type Task and looked like placeholder tasks. As they never appeared on the reporting I asked the Scrum Master to remove the sprint from the issues.
I thought this would remove sprint 8 from the backlog as we'd scrubbed the data. However it remains firmly anchored in the backlog (see the image).

I then looked at the burndown chart and reviewed each issue in the issue navigator. In my investigation I found the following:
- Issue 1: Was added at the start of sprint 8, was part of the sprint end issues when sprint 8 was completed. However from the issues navigator I can see the issue was actually resolved in sprint 9
- Issue 2-4: were added at the start of sprint 8, were part of the sprint end issues when sprint 8 was completed. However from the issues navigator I can see the issues were resolved in sprint 10
- Issue 5: Was added in sprint 8, and removed in sprint 8 and was resolved in sprint 10
I don't think issue 5 is a problem. However for issues 1-4 is the fact that the issues were added at the start of sprint 8, then formed part of the sprint completion and then resolved in future sprints the potential reason why Sprint 8 remains on the backlog?
However as sprint 9 and 10 are also closed now I'm at a loss to understand why sprint 8 remains. The Scrum Master has said he can delete the sprint from the board, however I don't know the behaviour of what this might do to the reporting e.g. would it orphan all issues that were originally in sprint 8?
Can anyone propose any other means to investigate why this might be happening.
I know these types of questions around historic events are difficult to resolve but I'm hoping someone might be able to open up some new pathways to investigate.
As always thanks to anyone that takes the time to respond.
Have a great day.
Regards
Hardip