Adding a panel to the right of a page is easy using the "Layouts". However, this has a downside. The vertical length of the content in the main panel must match before you change layouts or you get an unsightly space, and because you can't put a layout inside a layout, you are stuck with a single main section.
Atlassian seems to do this differently. If you look at their release notes here https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/confluence-release-notes-327.html you can see that the toc and related sections are in a nice right hand panel, but they seem to change the layout to two columns on the left hand side without interfering with the right hand panel. I tried faking this with a table, but it doesn't look nearly as nice and I can't kill the borders.
How is Atlassian doing this, so I can add a similar right hand navigation panel to a template for my team?