I've created a custom workflow which should replace the default jira workflow. My question is how to test my custom workflow? Currently I have only one project. Is there any procedure I need to follow? What are the best practices for implementing a custom workflow on Jira OnDemand?
We have a lot of custom workflows because of the way we use Jira here. I do as Nic suggests and test them against a different project (I have a test one specifically for this). I also found creating a new project was good practice when I was new to Jira.
Create a new workflow scheme, put your workflow in it, and then go to the project and change the workflow scheme to the new one.
But test it first! Create a new project, and apply the new workflow scheme. If you set up a new permission scheme that says "only sylvia_g has browse permission" for that project, no-one will see it.
Thanks Nic!
I have created a test project and associated it with my custom jira workflow. But how to test that my new jira workflow works fine? How to test that the new added "Status", for example, works as expected.
You can just create a new ticket or two and walk it through all the steps. Make sure you don't have notifications setup on that project though. Once you've verified that it works the way you want you can associate your actual live project with it. I just tested one this afternoon and realized I'd forgotten to add a reopen step!
As Klanz says, just walk through the test project. It'll work exactly the same as the other project. Just bear in mind that things like fields and screens are mostly unrelated to workflow unless there's explicit mentions - concentrate on status, permissions, notifications and the effect of post-functions if you've used them.
It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.