I am using Zephyr for JIRA to create Test issues, and will group these Test issues via Test Cycles to repeat them a few times that align with key phases of my project.
In my JIRA project, I have a custom workflow for Test issues that have the following statuses:
- Not started
- In Progress
- Blocked
- Pass
- Fail
- Deferred
If I view these Test issues in the Test Summary page (dropdown Tests > Test Summary), the Status shown here corresponds with the Workflow based status.
However, if I put this Test issue into a Test Cycle and execute the test cycle, then there is a separate set of Test Execution statuses:
- Unexecuted
- WIP
- Blocked
- Pass
- Fail
However, it doesn't appear that these Test Execution statuses are linked in anyway to the Test issue status that are derived from the Workflow assigned to issues of type Test.
My question:
- how does JIRA intend to use the Workflow-derived status for Test issues versus the statuses of the Test Cycle execution?
- Is there any link between these two different statuses?
My only guess here is that the Workflow-derived status at the Test issue level refers to the test case for the overall project as a whole, and intended to be the longer term container item for the Test Cycles where this task can appear.